Feb-March 2006: Getting Ready to Run

A bit of retrospective again - I can't help it as it's the only yardstick I have to measure with sometimes. Five years ago this month, I started and drove this car for the first time. It was a bit rusty, a bit loose in the suspension, but as with most first '02 rides, it had that ability. That ability, as David E. Davis said, to "absolutely amaze everyone who ever drove one."   Well, it happened to me too.
Where to begin... start with the battery wiring.  This is how it looks installed.
A view outside the trunk. This brace is a great design of a local enthusiast Ron.  It's doubtful there will be more made. I'm truly lucky to have one.
I ran the wire over the passenger side shock tower and down the passenger side of the car. This is using the standard E30 battery cable.
Up front, I mounted the terminal block under the dash.  From here I ran a 50" positive cable to the starter and the red 10 gauge wire shown here to connection 19 on the harness, which supplies current to the other side of the circuit. 
To be specific: I've included a 74tii wiring harness diagram in PDF form here for reference.
The original E30 battery cable cover hides things very nicely.  This view is towards the passenger side footwell.
The main power cable is routed through the firewall just under the glove box location.
I used SEM Landau Black dye on the dash. This renewed the finish to like new of this used dash.
This dye can be used any of the black components of vinyl if needed.
Here are the steering column cover and knee pad.  For $15 list, this may help many parts of your interior!
At the door, these grommets are used to hold the door lock wire and the door opener wires. These are easy to replace if the lock mechanism is out of the car.
Here is a shot of the lock button wire installed.
Here is an inside view of the same.
There are two hoses which connect from the engine to the heater box. They have grommets which fit in the firewall which protect the hoses. Those two grommets are shown to the right the hoses.
This is the hole closest to the driver side.
This is how it looks after it's installed.
I test fitted the air box prior to installing the radiator.
The washer bottle and pump were connected, along with routing the hoses back to the squirters.  I moved this hose lower, I believe they were originally above the reservoir.
The distributor was installed and lined up. It's best to set the engine to TDC by using the notch on the cam itself. The notch on the distributor was placed at approximately 8:00 position, the rotor was placed at 6:00 and then when it engaged with the cam gear, it rotated over to the 8:00 position as shown here.
The plug wires are connected as shown, with the center being obviously the coil wire.  This isn't documented much so I put these numbers on to help you when you are working on your car.
After installing the radiator, and the upper and lower hoses, I added the plugs and plug wires, and added coolant to the radiator.
The engine was ready to be started at this point.
So she sat quietly until we could gather the local fan club to watch it start for the first time... so here we go!
Next -> Stella Starts For The First Time





eXTReMe Tracker